The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit, values that today are embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his visionary investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company today. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. For our people, for our stakeholders, for our shareholders and for the people that live, breathe, consume and experience our brand.
The Howard Hughes Corporation seeks a Director of Engineering for the The Woodlands Resort. The hotel is located in the award winning master planned community of The Woodlands, Texas 45 minutes north of Houston. The hotel features 402 guestrooms, concierge floors, over 60,000 sq. ft. of meeting space. The area around the hotel is home to multiple Fortune 500 companies, The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, shopping, dining and entertainment venues.
The Director of Engineering will be responsible for leading maintenance personnel in the repair and operation of electrical and mechanical equipment used in heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, water supply and any other power operation for the property while demonstrating leadership that is grounded in our core values.
The Director of Engineering is responsible for the maintenance of The Woodlands Resort. Supervises all building maintenance personnel and their repair and operation of electrical and mechanical equipment used in heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, water supply and any other power operation for the property.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares schedules and instructions for use of engineering personnel on repair and maintenance work.
- Coordinates capital projects with all departments and oversight of their completion
- Estimates cost of labor material of repair and installation of equipment
- Requisitions all purchases of supplies as needed or sanctioned by the General Manager
- Inspects for general repair work needed by the property to increase appeal
- Establish, coordinate and maintain a Preventative Maintenance program for guest rooms in partnership with housekeeping and front office for all guest room and for public areas in partnership with operating departments, conference, catering and sales
- Maintain accurate records of activities of department, such as time spent on repair, reasons for breakdowns, general operation cost and supply requisitions.
- Inspect completed work in accordance with specifications and blue prints
- Confers with local authorities, inspectors, and underwriter; directs changes necessary to comply with regulations governing operation and use of mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Inspects all machinery for wear; determines the operating efficiency of machinery.
- Establish department operating budget.
- Keep General Manager informed of all problems and usual matters.
- Execute the Human Resources functions of the department by interviewing applicants, evaluating and reviewing employees and disciplining employees as necessary.
- Follow a fair and progressive disciplinary, coaching and counseling procedures.
- Review, access, and assist as needed in the writing of preventative maintenance programs and procedures. Including inventory, time line scheduling of preventative maintenance rotations and quality inspections.
- Assist with implementing and over-seeing budgeting projects, to include design, bidding, and project management.
- Review, access and assist with fiscal year operation budgeting.
- Works independently as an owner of a project for basic requests from start to project completion.
- Proficiency in the use and reading of blueprints and wiring schematics.
- Arrive at scheduled time, near and in full uniform
- Work in a cooperative and friendly manner with fellow employees, set a positive example.
- Provide the highest level of guest service to the hotel’s clients.
- Promote the hotel through goodwill, courtesy and a positive attitude.
- Perform any reasonable request as assigned or directed by management.
- Provide for a safe work environment by following all safety and security procedures and rules.
- Flexible to work varying schedules
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires extensive background in mechanical and electrical equipment and operations.
- Able to work in a team environment to meet team objectives and cross train where the need arises.
- Able to accept and provide constructive criticism as it pertains to individual and team development.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, additional language ability is a plus, however, not required.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of Federal, State, and local health, safety and legal regulations
- Mathematical and computational ability.
- Must possess computer skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma
- 5 Year Experience as Chief Engineer in Hospitality facility
DESCRIPTION/DEGREE OF PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Overhead, shoulder level, and floor level lifting
- Sitting - Moderate: Ability to sit for prolonged periods.
- Standing - Ability to stand for long periods of time, up to 10 hours consecutively.
- Walking - Ability to walk 1 to 2 hours a day and move in small areas.
- Climbing - Modest: Lift, pivot and stretch, bend, squat and kneel with weight up to 15 pounds occasionally.
- Balancing - Often required to maintain balance while carrying weight and reaching.
- Stooping - Knees, back and lower body must be flexible enough for repetitious stooping as an ongoing function.
- Kneeling - Some kneeling on hard surfaces.
- Twisting - Continual demand of radius of 120 degrees, either direction from the waist, head, back or neck. Constant knee, hip, ankle and foot rotation.
- Reaching - Continual ability to reach above head with full arm, shoulder and hand extension and rotation.
- Finger Dexterity - Finger and thumb dexterity must be full range with consistent use.
- Grasping/Gripping - Minimal, right and left hands need to grip to constant 5 lb. pressure
- Feeling - Ability to detect and differentiate heat and cold, pressure registration, moisture, hard, soft, thin, and thick.
- Talking - Able to continually communicate fluently in English.
- Hearing - Able to hear diverse scopes of pitch levels, volume, respond to noise and alert at all times.
- Vision - 20/20 vision with or without aid.
Above description attainable with or without reasonable accommodations.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORK CONDITIONS:
- Weather Exposure – Cold and Heat Exposure, Wet/Humid Exposure
- Noise Exposure – Vibration, Office equipment noise
EXPOSURE TO HAZARDS:
- Moving Mechanical Parts
- Electric Shock
- High Places
- Some exposure to coffee maker(s)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.”