The Westin at The Woodlands
Restaurant Executive Chef
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit, values that today are embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his visionary investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company today. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. For our people, for our stakeholders, for our shareholders and for the people that live, breathe, consume and experience our brand.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We are driven by entrepreneurialism, a passion for excellence, and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value for our shareholders. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast to coast.
The Howard Hughes Corporation is searching for an Restaurant Executive Chef for its new Italian concept restaurant for The Westin at The Woodlands. The hotel is located in the award winning master planned community of The Woodlands, Texas 45 minutes north of Houston. The hotel features 305 guestrooms, concierge floors, 15,000 sq. ft. of meeting space, two restaurants and 2 lounges. The area around the hotel is home to multiple Fortune 500 companies, The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, shopping, dining and entertainment venues.
The Restaurant Executive Chef will direct menu creation, food preparation, production and control for high-end, specialty restaurant. Represent the restaurant to the public and media through personal contact and culinary events.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for enhancing the food product that is presented to guests. Make changes that respond to the marketplace and to guests’ needs, both present and anticipated. Recommend changes to the food product. Use market research to develop new products.
- Responsible for maintaining quality of food product and ensuring consistency in food delivery and standards.
- Provide support to the Area Executive Chef, the Director of Food & Beverage, and the Restaurant General Manager. Work in support of team goals and measures effectiveness through the Food & Beverage profit and service performance of the hotel.
- Responsible for the selection, training and development of the personnel within the department. Able to exercise hire and fire discretion within the hotel’s policies.
- Control the elements that determine profit and loss. Responsible for the restaurant’s food cost. Set margins and manage the business against projections. Make decisions that relate to profit and loss. Responsible for the financial management of the restaurant kitchen.
- Give direction and be responsible for the implementation of plans. Monitor effectiveness and introduce changes in response to the marketplace. Set targets, plan and schedule work and performance indicators that are typically productivity and efficiency measures.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Consult with the Area Executive Chef, Restaurant Genera Manager on a daily basis as well as with other departments as necessary.
- Participate in long range planning.
- Participate, support and make recommendations for ongoing hotel programs with continuous improvement in networking
- Work in a cooperative and friendly manner with fellow employees, set a positive example.
- Provide the highest level of guest service to the hotel’s clients.
- Maintain professional attire and personal hygiene.
- Maintain a clean, neat and orderly work area.
- Read, understand and follow all policies, procedures and practices as stated in the Employee Handbook.
- Implement the hotel’s safety and emergency policies and procedures (i.e. evacuation, first aid, etc.) to include removing all safety hazards, following company’s OSHA program, safe lifting techniques.
- Promptly report substandard (unsafe) conditions to Supervisor.
- Promptly report accidents, injuries, property damage or loss to Supervisor.
- Inform management promptly of any work-related problems or guest complaints.
- Promote the hotel through goodwill, courtesy and a positive attitude.
- Attend all scheduled training classes and meetings.
- Continue to learn and grow in your position.
- Perform any reasonable request as assigned or directed by management.
- Provide for a safe work environment by following all safety and security procedures and rules.
- Assist person(s) with a disability.
- Comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws ordinances as they apply to the hotel, guest and employees.
- Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Culinary degree required.
- Five to Seven years of culinary management experience.
- Previous experience managing cost controls.
- Desire to learn and grow with a world class hospitality business.
- Knowledge in Specialty Gourmet Italian/Trattoria highly desired
“All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.”