Sr. Property Accounting Manager
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit—values still embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation today. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. We strive to embody these same qualities for every individual that our company touches, from stakeholders to partners, from consumer to shareholder.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We demand excellence and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties in the United States. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast.
The Sr. Accounting Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements for the properties. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, and internal/external audit compliance.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversee and participate in the month-end close process, ensuring all journal entries, account analyses, and reconciliations are completed and reviewed on a monthly basis and are in compliance with SOX requirements.
• Review and analyze financial information to prepare monthly consolidated financial statements and other accounting and asset management monthly reports.
• Prepare quarterly reports and variance analyses as required.
• Participate in monthly meetings to review financial statements with Asset Management.
• Prepare appropriate schedules to support quarterly and year-end balances for management and for internal/external audit purposes.
• Assist with preparation of financial reports for internal purposes, loan reporting, SEC filings and SOX reporting.
• Participate in the preparation of re-forecasts and budgets.
• Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
• Establish and review the implementation and maintenance of accounting policies and procedures while identifying areas of improvement.
• Develop and maintain an effective control environment over areas of responsibility, including G/L accounting, fixed assets, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
• Review management and leasing fee calculations as required.
• Review annual tenant expense recovery reconciliations and assist with tenant expense recovery audits as needed.
• Support the information needs of the corporate departments that are responsible for legal collection efforts, real property tax assessments, payroll processing, lease initiatives and financing due diligence.
• Assist property management with accounting related inquiries and special projects as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
• Minimum of 8 years of experience in accounting. Preference given to public accounting audit experience and /or real estate industry experience.
• Ability to prepare and analyze detailed financial statements and information.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Strong analytical and organizational skills with high attention to detail.
• Must be deadline focused, organized and exhibit problem solving skills.
• Must be self-motivated and work with little supervision.
• Interact effectively as part of a team and build positive relationships with employees at all levels within the organization.
• Must be able to thrive in a fast-pace, dynamic setting with competing priorities.
• Experience with J.D. Edwards, Kardin and/or Hyperion Enterprise or HFM a plus.
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required.
• CPA required.