Sr. Property Accountant
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit—values still embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation today. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. We strive to embody these same qualities for every individual that our company touches, from stakeholders to partners, from consumer to shareholder.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We demand excellence and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties in the United States. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast.
The Sr. Property Accountant is responsible for preparing and reviewing monthly financial statements as well as other transactional Accounting responsibilities for a portfolio of properties.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and review monthly financial statements.
- Ensure that Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) are being adhered to for all financial reporting periods.
- Prepare journal entries for the general ledger.
- Assist Asset Management on all accounting, budgeting, reporting, collections and accounting system matters.
- Assist site personnel on lease-related matters.
- Responsible for the tenant accounting year-end lease requirement (i.e. cam year-end reconciliation, annual sales reports, etc.).
- Challenges and understands financial information so that issues are resolved and financial results are properly recorded and presented.
- Coordinates with internal and external auditors for quarterly reviews and year-end audit.
- Perform variance analysis and timely reconciliation of general ledger accounts.
- Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley internal controls and compliance.
- Special projects and other duties as needed.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 4-6 years of accounting experience required
- Good understanding of Accounting processes.
- A team player who has the ability to multi-task and is self-directed.
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail.
- Must be deadline focused, organized and exhibit problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, work with little supervision and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong technical writing skills.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Interact effectively as part of a team.
- Handle a dynamic work environment with competing priorities.
- Build positive working relationships with employees at all levels within the organization.
- Exercise sound judgment when making decisions.
- Good problem solver/creative thinker.
- “Can-do” attitude, pro-active and resourceful.
- Passionate, entrepreneurial and dedicated to success.
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of JD Edwards general ledger application.
- Hyperion Enterprise and/or Hyperion Financial Management consolidation and reporting tools.
- Kardin Software
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and related products
- Real estate industry a plus.
- CPA desirable