The Westin at The Woodlands
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit, values that today are embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his visionary investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company today. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. For our people, for our stakeholders, for our shareholders and for the people that live, breathe, consume and experience our brand.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We are driven by entrepreneurialism, a passion for excellence, and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value for our shareholders. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast to coast.
The Howard Hughes Corporation is searching for a Banquet Captain for The Westin . The hotel is located in the award winning master planned community of The Woodlands, Texas 45 minutes north of Houston. The hotel features 305 guestrooms, concierge floors, and 15,000 sq. ft. of meeting space, two restaurants and 2 lounges. The area around the hotel is home to multiple Fortune 500 companies, The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, shopping, dining and entertainment venues.The Banquet Captain will serve guests at the level of service established by management. Supervise the banquet staff at all stages of a function from set-up to breakdown.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Check all room sets prior to each event. Meet with the Chef to confirm quantities of food items and timing of food leaving the kitchen. Check all china, glassware, silverware, and linen items needed for the event. Inform staff of specific needs for buffets and receptions. Check staffing needs for upcoming events. Check inventory needs for all upcoming events.
- Conduct pre-function meetings to ensure personal hygiene and appearance standards of staff are met. Allocate stations and partners for staff. Review banquet event orders.
- Communicate with the meeting planner handling the function to ensure all needs have been met and to check for any last minute instructions or changes.
- Be aware of all upcoming groups and major conventions over upcoming 90 days. Review assigned work functions for the entire day and the next week. Read all assigned banquet menus and ask if specific items are unclear. Complete all daily administrative tasks.
- Select several tables at random during the function to evaluate food and service. Ensure that food is served at the appropriate temperature, and that the entrée is placed properly on table. For receptions, ensure sufficient food is available and any upsell opportunities are met.
- Work in a cooperative and friendly manner with fellow employees, set a positive example.
- Provide the highest level of guest service to the hotel’s clients.
- Maintain professional attire and personal hygiene.
- Maintain a clean, neat and orderly work area.
- Read, understand and follow all policies, procedures and practices as stated in the Employee Handbook.
- Implement the hotel’s safety and emergency policies and procedures (i.e. evacuation, first aid, etc.) to include removing all safety hazards, following company’s OSHA program, safe lifting techniques.
- Promptly report substandard (unsafe) conditions to Supervisor.
- Promptly report accidents, injuries, property damage or loss to Supervisor.
- Inform management promptly of any work-related problems or guest complaints.
- Promote the hotel through goodwill, courtesy and a positive attitude.
- Attend all scheduled training classes and meetings.
- Continue to learn and grow in your position.
- Perform any reasonable request as assigned or directed by management.
- Provide for a safe work environment by following all safety and security procedures and rules.
- Assist person(s) with a disability.
- Comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws ordinances as they apply to the hotel, guest and employees.
- Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- High School diploma or equivalent and/or experience in a hotel or a related field preferred.
- Prior experience in Banquet Services required.
- Starwood/Marriott or similar branded, full service hotel experience preferred.
“All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.”