The Woodlands Resort and Conference Center
Director of Catering & Conference Planning
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit, values that today are embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his visionary investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company today. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. For our people, for our stakeholders, for our shareholders and for the people that live, breathe, consume and experience our brand.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We are driven by entrepreneurialism, a passion for excellence, and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value for our shareholders. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast to coast.
The Director of Conference Planning and Catering serves as the primary leader for the scheduling, planning, organization, and management of events that take place on and off The Woodlands Resort campus, with central responsibility and management of internal & external clients that use The Woodlands Resort facilities for events. These events include, but are not limited to, meetings, parties, corporate and non-profit trainings, etc.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directly responsible for the coordination and administration of all group business, day meetings, golf outings/packages, catering events including weddings, social events, off premises
- Responsible for assignment of files contracted by the Sales Department based on key accounts, workload, and customer preference
- Develop and maintain training and retraining programs for all Conference Planning and Catering employees
- Assist in administering competitive wage programs for employees
- Create and drive the event timeline from contract negotiation to post-conference wrap-up
- Execute the personnel functions of the department by interviewing applicants, evaluating, reviewing and disciplining of current employees
- Propose and implement catering menus
- Evaluate operations and supply clear, measurable goals for staff on a quarterly basis
- Assist in preparing sales and profit forecasts as it relates to the Conference Planning and Catering Department
- Manage post-event activities: organize and lead meetings with cross-functional teams; recommend improvements to key internal stakeholders; provide certificates of completion to participants.
- Coordinating daily operations, ensuring that quality and service levels are consistent with company standards
- Work in a cooperative and friendly manner with fellow employees, set a positive example.
- Provide the highest level of guest service to the hotel’s clients.
- Attend Banquet Event Order, Operations Review, Staff and Yield Management, and Catering meetings
- Maintain close communication with Conference Services & Audio Visual Department sales and setup
- Maintain open communication with Director of Operations
- Communicate clearly with staff, provide coaching and counseling pertaining to their job duties
- Host periodic meetings with staff to discuss departmental operational issues, improvements and upcoming business
- Promote the hotel through goodwill, teamwork spirit, courtesy and a positive attitude.
- Maintain a high level of professional appearance and image of self and staff
- Excellent time management skills
- Provide safety training programs for all staff and conduct periodic inspections to provide a safe work environment.
- Follow security procedures and rules.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to multi-task and should be detail oriented.
- Participate in Manager on Duty schedule
- Follow fair, progressive discipline/coach and counseling procedures
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, additional language ability is a plus, however, not required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma
- College Degree Preferred
- 5 years Management Experience
- 5 - 8 years Hotel/Conference/Catering experience
“All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.”