The Woodlands Resort and Conference Center
General Manager, Robard’s Steakhouse
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit, values that today are embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his visionary investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company today. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. For our people, for our stakeholders, for our shareholders and for the people that live, breathe, consume and experience our brand.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We are driven by entrepreneurialism, a passion for excellence, and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value for our shareholders. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast to coast.
The Howard Hughes Corporation seeks a General Manager for Robard’s Steakhouse located at The Woodlands Resort and Conference Center. The hotel is located in the award winning master planned community of The Woodlands, Texas 45 minutes north of Houston. The hotel features 402 guestrooms, concierge floors, over 60,000 sq. ft. of meeting space. The area around the hotel is home to multiple Fortune 500 companies, The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, shopping, dining and entertainment venues.
The General Manager will be responsible for leading restaurant-level operations through a team of managers and associate staff; demonstrating leadership that is grounded in our core values. This enables the team to consistently providing a competitively superior fine dining experience.
Seeking a successful leader to deliver balanced results through our procedures and core brand standards, while attaining growth in sales and profits.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct and general supervision to Steakhouse staff in order to ensure effective and efficient operations. Implement effective control of food, beverage and labor costs.
- Deliver internal and external guest service by exhibiting a friendly, genuine and approachable demeanor. Look for and act upon opportunities to assist guests and team members.
- Staff, schedule, evaluate, train, develop and monitor team members.
- Continuously evaluate the performance and encourage improvement of the personnel in the restaurant. Plan and administer a training and development program within the department, which will provide well-trained employees at all levels and permit advancement for those persons qualified and interested in career development. Oversee departmental matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws
- Recommend wage increases, promotions, demotions, discipline and other employment actions for team members.
- Understand department objectives, standards, guidelines and budget to achieve effective supervision of department; adjust daily schedule according to business levels.
- Increase restaurant revenues through research and taking positive steps to adjust or change menu offerings, service, portion control, presentation and waste.
- Promote the courteous treatment of customers and team members including resolving complaints, answering questions and providing general service.
- Ensure food servers, bus persons and other restaurant team members are meeting or exceeding service standards.
- Maintain control of the restaurant to ensure staffing levels are appropriate based on business volumes.
- Create and maintain records, reports and other documentation as required to meet company and business expectations.
- Observe and monitor staff adherence to health department regulations.
- Assist Assistant Restaurant Manager in developing and implementing department management plans including budgets, labor schedules and systems of accountability.
- Assist Assistant Restaurant Manager in developing and implementing policies, procedures and rules including operations manuals, to promote compliance with company and regulatory guidelines.
- Ensure proper communication between front of house and back of house operations while taking ownership of all responsible areas.
- Meet daily deadlines of opening, creating, and posting table-talks for specials and produces sample dishes for pre-shifts in a timely manner and reviews nightly special postings, prep level reports, and critical inventory comparisons.
- Ensure periodic quality checks for all products and service, i.e., greeting times.
- Monitor purchasing, staffing, and inventory in order to control product and labor cost and waste, ensuring adherence to the budget.
- Monitor work areas to ensure cleanliness standards are achieved and customer requests are addressed and resolved.
- Oversee and ensure all stations are properly stocked and set up.
- Oversee and ensure all equipment and working conditions are well maintained.
- Maintain the viability and integrity of all restaurant operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Minimum of 5-7 years progressive experience as a General Manager in a full service, fine dining restaurant
- Upward career progression demonstrated by a stable job history
- Professional, polished appearance with the ability to interact with all types of team members
- Proven ability to lead others and positively influence employee behavior and morale
- Impeccable service standards, clean work habits and attention to detail
- High degree of flexibility and the ability to manage multiple projects with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a high volume environment
- Fine dining knowledge, coupled with wine presentation skills
- Must possess excellent verbal communication skills and have the ability to work a flexible schedule
- Computer knowledge including MS Office
- Must possess strong experience with P&L's
- Ability to continually train and develop all FOH positions to maximize potential
- 4-year degree in a relevant industry (e.g. Hotel/Restaurant Management)
- Oversee all restaurant administrative requirements including cash handling, payroll, and bar inventory
- In coordination with the management team, recruits, retains, trains and develops an optimum number of staff who are enthusiastically dedicated to delivering the highest level of Hospitality, Quality and Value to the customer.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Minimum of five years hospitality Food & Beverage experience in a Leadership/Manager/GM Role in a full service, fine dining restaurant highly desired
- Knowledge of food and wine pairings
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, holidays
- Must possess TABC and Food Handlers certification
“All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status."